The emphasis at CEAR is to address key challenges in EA practice and application. This provides the foundation for our research and extension activities:
- Research that contributes to advancing EA as a planning and environmental protection tool in key Canadian resource and infrastructure sectors – such as energy, mining, transportation and municipal infrastructure.
- Research on the role of EA in supporting resource management, planning and decision-making by First Nations and Indigenous communities.
- Research in key and growing areas of EA practice, such as cumulative effects assessment, regional assessment, and accounting for climate change.
- Research that helps improve EA practice by supporting the evaluation of EA processes, regulations and law.
- Research that advances EA as an integral tool for supporting sustainability, and advancing environmental management and protection.
- Research that is connected to practice.